Thursday, August 30, 2007

Good News...Bad News



Good News Today: BP back to normal for me: 118/76 - Yay!

And there's more good news. Seems that my low carb/high fat diet has pretty much eliminated my GERD. I haven't needed or taken my Nexium in nearly two weeks. I give most of the credit to virgin coconut oil which I began eating in various forms almost a month ago.

Now the bad news :-(

My fasting blood glucose level was 108 a couple weeks ago. Mind you, this is about 6 weeks into low carb dieting.

Not good. This all fits the picture I suspected. I probably do have Syndrome X, or insulin resistance. No huge surprise there, given my years of near-vegetarianism and pigging out on such dietary staples as brown and basmati rice, pasta, popcorn and homemade whole-grain breads.

Furthermore we now know my thyroid medication is also insufficient. I have been reading up voraciously on thyroid disease so I can really talk turkey with my internal medicine doc. Now it seems I'd best educate myself well on pre-diabetes as well.

Once again, I hope and pray I've dodged a bullet. The "cure" for pre-diabetes, insulin resistance is - yep, you guessed it - low carb eating.

Here's a link to a very interesting and important bit of information. Happy Reading and have a fun and safe Labor Day Weekend, all. God bless :-)

No comments: