Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Learn Sumpin' New Every Day!


I must say, this past couple of weeks I have learned more about nutrition, diet, fat, carbohydrates, coconut oil yada yada than I ever knew in my entire life!

My recent reading list (in red, not finished yet)
Living the Low Carb Life - Bowden
The Protein Power Lifeplan - Eades
Eat Fat, Lose Fat - Enig & Fallon
Life Without Bread - Allan
Coconut Cures - Fife
Natural Health and Weight Loss - Groves
The Fat Flush Foods - Gittleman
Heartburn Cured (The Low Carb Miracle) - Robillard
Apple Cider Vinegar Miracle Health System - Bragg

And this doesn't even begin to cover all the blogs, low carb discussion forums etc that I've frequented. Whew...time to get a life!!
Like anything else new to me, if it catches my interest then look out...I get obsessive about it for a while.

Notice I've been skirting all the way around Atkin's publications and haven't included them in my new LC library. Hmmmm......maybe I'm just working my way backwards.

Several things have become clear to me.

I have a fat addiction. Oh yeah, you can take away my sugar and my bread. Keep the cookies and birthday cake, donuts don't impress me none (Shania Twain tune), but DO NOT TOUCH MY BUTTER. I want some cream with that fruit, and virgin coconut oil could have cyanide in it...but I think maybe I would still eat it every day now that I've discovered it.

Dr. Barry Groves and I would get along just fine. I like his philosophy and my goodness I do hope he's right. I hope Bruce Fife is right too. Now the Coconut Cures book just floored me with all the claim for virgin coconut oil and coconut products. I will continue to pursue that track.

I've also discovered (about myself) that I have been skating real close to the edge, sometimes going right over the line.

I guess I need some super self-discipline from somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it at Vitacost, Netrition, or Google it anywhere :-(

On the health front: found out I'm undermedicated for my hypothyroid problem. Great. Just what you want to hear when you've been on a diet for almost 3 months and have lost a total of about 10 lbs and that was the first 2 weeks. At any rate, I've got my internist looking into it. Hopefully she and I can come up with a plan. Or an endocrinologist!

Today is the first day of Atkins Fat Fast for me. I'm not sure I'll be able to tough it out but I'm gonna try.

Well that's it for today. Have a good one and stay cool!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm with you - I love fat! I'm a Grove's reader also (and Eades, and Atkins, and...). My diet is at least 60% fat.

Just wait 'til Gary Taubes book comes out...his article was just the beginning!

Great blog, and pleased to e-meet you!

Unknown said...

Thanks Tracy! I have Taubes book on pre-order. My family is officially making fun of my new diet library and the stack of books on the topic of low carbing, lol.

Sue said...

Its so great to see you reading up on low carb. So many of the new Kimkinites haven't even read one low-carb book I suspect.
I also have Taubes book on pre-order.

Alcinda (Cindy) Moore said...

Hi! Just found your blog from a link on another site. Protein Power is my plan and I love it!!

I think that reading and learning is essential for following a low carb lifestyle!! I'd also recommend Nina Plank's book "Whole Foods". It's not low carb as much as it's , well whole foods! LOL