Saturday, May 10, 2008

Time for a Brief Update

I don't even pretend to be able to keep up with all the Kimkins updating, education and information presented by my respected blogging pals. I simply don't have the time and anyway, by the time I've thought of it...they've got it covered. So I defer to them.

But a shout out is in order, and kudos to those who have been steadily at work bringing down the Kimpire.

My weight loss journey is and has been at a standstill for some 9 months. Oh, a bit here and a bit there, but no net losses that stay. The same 4-6 lbs on again and off again since I quit the Kimkins starvation diet.

On a positive note: I have learned more about what my body will tolerate and won't, and what I need to do to get the scale moving down again. Pure and simple: exercise. This is the time of year that makes that easier, at least. Mostly it's a lifestyle thing with me. I work on the computer or in my studio averaging about 10 hours a day. No excuses, that's just the way it is.

But with spring in the air and summer gardening beckoning, it's going to be easier to push away from the computer desk or the work table and get outside and move. The pool will warm up, so I can swim. The babies will be here 3 days a week so I can walk them and chase a toddler again. All good things for this old sedentary grandmother.

I'm feeling so good it's obscene :-) I thank my new hormone doctor, Rebecca Glaser, MD for working with me on bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. She is a huge proponent of the way I'm eating these days, and that helps a lot.

I'm also taking 5-HTP and melatonin for sleep. Wonderful stuff that is! I take handfuls of supplements and a couple of prescription meds daily. Some fight cancer (see my previous blog posts for why), some are for weightloss, some are hormones, and some are to help regulate blood sugar and insulin.

I'm still lowcarbing of course. I know it's the way for me. When I go off plan on purpose, the reminders are loud and clear. Bloating, gas, sleepiness after meals, lethargy, headaches and sugar cravings that are very difficult to ignore. Nope...so not worth it.

I'm going to be starting yet another blog soon. I have recognized lately that I need to deal with my ACOA and codependency issues. I'm in a new support group at church that seems very promising. I still feel I need a place where I can journal about this and I know it's a biggie with lots of people. Addictions are addictions and I'm no different than anyone. I need to fully explore my eating habits and preferences alongside the issues that belong to the wife of a part-time functioning alcoholic. So when I have that one up and running I'll post a link.

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there. God bless and have a wonderful weekend.

2 comments:

OhYeahBabe said...

Nice post, sweetie. I'm looking forward to your new blog.
OYB

Unknown said...

Thank you, my friend :-)