Saturday, July 21, 2007

What an interesting Journey this is turning into!


Criminy. I had no idea how many iterations and versions there were of the low carb lifestyle until I checked in at Borders the other day. Wow.

I came home with a stack of books! Most of them on the recommended reading list by Jonny Bowden. Why didn't I just go to the library? Because I want cutting edge, recent edition stuff. I found one book particularly fascinating: The Leptin Boost Diet: Unleash Your Fat-Controlling Hormones for Maximum Weight Loss by Scott Isaacs.

Also on the must-read this weekend list is Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats by Dr. Mary Enig and Sally Fallon; The Protein Power Lifeplan by Drs. Eades; and The Fat Flush Foods by Ann Louise Gittleman.

I'm sort of transitioning over to the principles of Eat Fat to Lose Fat by Enig, because I've seen her name come up so many times in my cholesterol research, and now about dietary fats. The work she has done is amazing. I'm also using a lot of the principles of Protein Power, keeping the next few weeks very low carb, and as natural as possible. No processed or frankenfoods. Organic as much as I can.

Here's why I feel it's so important to research all this dietary/nutrition information.

A bit of history: I was developing some gallbladder symptoms mid-week, and it scared me. You see, I had a lot of problems last winter. My family doctor told me last October, "It's time for your first colonoscopy, Steph". Oh ICK, I thought. I'm not the greatest patient in the world, and I really didn't think I needed it. But I went through with it once they assured me that I wouldn't remember a thing about it afterward.

Well.....thank goodness I did. They found cancer. Thank God, they caught it early. After a few biopsies and some minor surgery, along with some super nutritional dietary changes (I began taking every supplement I read about that had anti-cancer properties and went on an ESSIAC protocol as well), and a HUGE amount of prayer, and I was declared cancer-free the end of Feb, 2007.

Along the way they also figured out (by doing an endoscopy at the other end) that I not only have GERD, but have apparently had it long enough to develop something called Barrett's Esophagus.

More good news: They found I had a dilated biliary duct (pancreas), and when they checked it further with a test called an ERCP, the dye went astray and caused nearly instant severe pancreatitis. That landed me in the hospital sick as a dog for 4 days.

So...when my belly hurts, I pay close attention nowadays :-) I learned the hard and scary way that it's not a good idea to ignore your health (even when you think you feel fine). Preventive medicine has come a long way. I told everyone I certainly don't mind being the Preventive Medicine Posterchild!

Something I learned in my reading is that low fat diets can provoke the formation of gallstones. I don't need that. I also had basically stalled out on the weightloss. So that was getting to me. I was hungry all the time--not a happy place :-(

So, it's time to find an eating plan that works with my own particular metabolism and health issues. It's actually a fascinating journey.

Maybe best of all, I dropped another pound today, and the belly pains are gone along with the gnawing hunger!! Time will tell.

Have a great weekend :-D It's cool outside here in Ohio, amazingly so for mid-July. We're loving it!

No comments: